What about false signs?
In the Bible we find the word “false” being used about 30 times.
This morning we want to look at this word and examine it from 3 perspectives.
The Bible warns about things that are “false.”
The things labeled as false may appear to be quite convincing (this will be our second point).
Our final point will emphasize how “many” are led astray by these falsities.
ONE OF THE FIRST PLACES WHERE WE FIND THE WORD “FALSE” IS MATTHEW 7:15.
1) We will return to this verse a little later because there are some other details here that are important.
2) For now let’s note that God says there are people who profess to be “prophets” in our world.
3) Jesus did not use the word “many” in Mt. 7, but He did use the word “many” in Mt. 24:11.
4) The first part of Mt. 24 deals with the destruction of Jerusalem in 70 A.D.
5) Jesus said that during this time “many false prophets” would arise –READ
6) False prophets abounded in the time of Jerusalem’s destruction, but so did false Christ’s – verse 24a – READ
7) If people are not claiming to be prophets and the Messiah, they may claim something else.
8) 2 Cor. 11:13 refers to “false apostles” and “deceitful workers.”
a) A few verses later – 2 Cor. 11:26 – Paul spoke of “false brethren.”
b) These two verses tell us that religious error comes in several different packages.
9) Gal. 2:4 – READ
a) Paul spoke of “false brethren” who were “privily brought in.”
b) Sometimes it is really easy to identify those involved with religious error.
c) In other cases such as here those who involved with religious error are like carbon monoxide.
10) Some doubt that religious error is really a big problem, but listen to what God says in 2 Pet. 2:1.
THE PASSAGES WE HAVE LOOKED AT LEAVE NO DOUBT THAT RELIGIOUS ERROR EXISTS.
a) READ Mt. 24:11.
b) The word “many” is also used to describe false teachers in verses 5 and 10.
2) A lot of people can believe or teach something, but they may not be very influential.
3) Jesus said the people He was warning about would have a lot of success.
4) The end of this verse says “many” would be led astray.
5) The deceit in the first century world went was not the only time people have been duped.
6) Here is what John said in 1 Jn. 4:1 – READ
7) John also used the word “many” in 1 Jn. 2:18 and 2 Jn. 7.
BASED ON WHAT WE HAVE LOOKED AT SO FAR RELIGIOUS ERROR EXISTS AND IT IS VERY, VERY COMMON. NOW WE COME TO POINT THREE: THE ERROR THAT PEOPLE PROMOTE IS OFTEN CONVINCING.
1) Mt. 7:15 – READ
2) The image of “sheep” tells us that some who are involved with religious error seem very kind and pleasant.
a) When Jesus spoke of “false christs” and “false prophets” in Mt. 24:24 He said something else.
b) He said people would show “great signs and wonders.”
3) 2 Cor. 11:13 – Paul spoke of “deceitful” workers.
a) 2 Cor. 11:14 says the devil “fashions himself into an angel of light.” Mt. 7:22-23.
4) How many people are described by the word “many” in verse 22?
5) Our eternal salvation depends on knowing what is right and doing what is right.
6) If we know the truth part of our job is helping others identify what is fake.