What the Bible says about marriage
1) Marriage first began in the Garden of Eden (paradise). It is God’s idea so we use His rules.
2) Marriage is one of the first subjects spoken of in the Bible is marriage (Gen. 2:24).
3) It has many purposes, including this one (Gen. 1:28): ____________________
4) What is another purpose of it in 1 Cor. 7:2? _____________________________
5) Men and women come and work together, with wives being a ___________ (Gen 2:18)
6) Husbands are to be loving leaders in the home/marriage (1 Cor. 11:3). Protects and provides.
7) Wives are to accepting that loving leadership (Col. 3:18).
8) Wives should influence their husbands for good (1 Pet. 3:1-2).
9) How permanent is marriage designed to be (Mt. 19:5-6)?________________________
10) Marriage is called a “covenant” in Mal. 2:14—this is a very serious matter.
11) How does Mt. 19 compare to a marriage based on “feelings”? ___________________
12) Is marriage the best environment in which to raise children (Mal. 2:14-15)? _________
13) Is marriage limited to this earth (Lk. 20:35)? _________________________
14) What completely breaks the marriage bond (Rom. 7:1-3)? ____________________
15) Some forbid marriage but 1 Tim. 4:1-3 says: _______________________________.
16) List some of the ways people see marriage: ___________________________________________
18) Would we say marriage is designed to be an “exclusive” relationship? Mt. 19:9 – ________.
19) We live in a time when marriage is coming under fierce attack. Millions of divorces.
20) California Supreme Court ruling.
21) We must make a choice about what we will believe and stand for – Acts 5:27-29.
22) This means know who marriage is for, what marriage is for, and why it exists.
23) God has some clear instructions about marriage.
a) 1 Cor. 7:3 tells us marriage: _________________________________________
b) Some things in a marriage apply to both partners; there are also unique responsibilities.
c) Husbands receive special instructions in 1 Pet. 3:7 – ____________________________
d) More instructions to husbands are in Eph. 5:25-28 – _____________________________
e) Harsh treatment is forbidden in Col. 3:19.
f) Men should find ______________ with their wives (Prov. 5:18-19).
g) Satan is in the business of destroying marriages; God wants them to be strong and good.
24) Twentieth Century Christian (March 1955) offered these good suggestions:
• Never both be angry at once.
• Never talk at one another.
• Never yell at one another, unless the house is on fire.
• Let each one strive to yield more often to do the wishes of the other.
• Let self-denial be the daily aim and practice of each.
• Never taunt with a past mistake.
• Neglect the whole world rather than one another.
• Never make a remark at the expense of one another.
• Never part for a day without kind words to think of during absence.
• Never meet without a loving welcome.
• Never let the sun go down on your wrath.
• Never forget that marriage is ordained of God, and that His blessings alone can make it what it ought to be.
Get a FREE on-line Romans commentary at http://www.abiblecommentary.com. You may also order this commentary in book form for just $14.95 (it is a great addition to your library, or an ideal gift for friends, a special Bible class teacher or a cherished minister. The next commentary for release will be First Corinthians and we expect that will be out soon!